Table of Contents
How to Get the Nigerian International Passport
Are you a Nigerian citizen looking to obtain an international passport? The Nigerian international passport is a travel document that allows citizens to travel outside the country. The process of obtaining the passport can be daunting, but it is necessary for those who want to travel abroad. In this article, we will guide you through the process of obtaining the Nigerian international passport.
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
Before starting the process, you need to gather all the documents required for the application. These documents include:
- Birth certificate or age declaration
- National identity card or voter’s card
- Local government identification letter
- Two recent passport photographs
- Payment receipt
- Completed passport application form
Make sure to have copies of all the documents as well, as they may be required during the application process.
Step 2: Pay for the Passport
The next step is to pay for the passport. The cost of obtaining a Nigerian international passport varies depending on the type of passport and the duration of validity. You can pay for the passport online via the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) portal, or at any designated bank.
Step 3: Book an Appointment
After payment, you need to book an appointment for your biometric capture. This can be done online via the NIS portal. Choose a suitable date and time for the capture.
Step 4: Biometric Capture
On the day of your appointment, go to the designated passport office for the biometric capture. This involves taking a digital photograph and fingerprints of all fingers. Make sure to dress appropriately, as photographs taken during this process will be used on your passport.
Step 5: Collect Your Passport
After the biometric capture, you will be given a collection slip with a date for collection of your passport. On the collection day, go to the designated passport office with your collection slip and all original documents. Your passport will be issued to you after verification.
Tips for a Smooth Application Process
- Ensure all documents are complete and accurate before submitting them.
- Dress appropriately for the biometric capture process.
- Arrive early for your appointment to avoid delays.
- Follow all instructions given by officials at the passport office.
- Keep copies of all documents and receipts for future reference.
Obtaining a Nigerian international passport is a necessary process for those who wish to travel abroad. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can successfully apply for and obtain your passport. Remember to gather all required documents, pay the necessary fees, book an appointment for biometric capture, attend the appointment, and collect your passport on the designated day. With a little patience and preparation, you can obtain your Nigerian international passport and start exploring the world.
How long does it take to get a Nigerian international passport?
- The processing time for a Nigerian international passport varies, but it usually takes between 2 to 6 weeks.
Can I apply for a Nigerian international passport online?
- Yes, you can apply for a Nigerian international passport online via the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) portal.
Can I use my voter’s card as identification for passport application?
- Yes, a national identity card or voter’s card is one of the acceptable means of identification for passport application.
Can I use someone else’s biometric capture appointment?
- No, biometric capture appointments are non-transferable and can only be used by the person who made the appointment.
What should I do if my passport application is rejected?
- If your passport application is rejected, you can reapply after resolving the issues that led to the rejection.